Time & Location
Mar 18, 2021, 5:00 PM – 6:45 PM PDT
About the Event
Join us on March 18 for a "Fireside Chat" with Dr. Wilma Wooten, MD., MPH. Recognized as San Diegan of the Year in 2020, Dr. Wooten serves as the Public Health Officer and Director, County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency.
Bethany Hills, Partner at Morrison & Foerster will moderate this discussion with Dr. Wooten as she will share this distinguished career path as a woman in the life sciences industry, discuss challenging roadblocks she faced and critical allies she attracted. Learn how Dr. Wooten navigated the contentious COVID-19 crisis by having a seat at the table and making her voice heard to inform decisions and drive outcomes, revealing a widely-regarded San Diego healthcare community leader.
- Dr. Wooten earned her degree in medicine from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in 1986 and completed her residency at the Providence Hospital in Washington, D.C.
- She came to San Diego in 1989 to do her residency in preventative medicine at San Diego State University.
- Hired by San Diego County in 2001 to serve as its deputy health officer, Wooten was also volunteering on medical trips to Jamaica, Kenya and Ghana to treat and educate patients vulnerable to communicable diseases, such as AIDS.
- In 2007, she was elevated to public health officer, overseeing the county’s Public Health Services agency, which has over 500 employees and a $100 million budget.
- Her first big challenge came in 2009, when San Diego became ground zero for the country’s H1N1 swine-flu epidemic. Wooten would later win a national Public Health Heroes award for her work.
Bethany advises her life sciences business clients on both pre- and post-market issues, including everything from FDA submissions and communications strategies to post-approval compliance and reimbursement issues.
She leverages her deep FDA regulatory experience and exceptional knowledge of the health care delivery system to help both domestic and international life sciences and health care technology clients enter and navigate the U.S. market. She helps companies manage the full range of FDA regulation issues, from inspections and investigations through complex regulatory challenges, affecting everything from product approvals and labeling to collaborative research, supply, and distribution agreements.
PROGRAM | 5:00 - 6:00 PM PT
NETWORKING | 6:00 - 6:45 PM PT
Powered by: Morrison & Foerster
Presented by: Athena's Life Sciences Special Interest Group
- Ticket type
- Ticket type