Qualcomm Incorporated, an international leader in driving innovation and developing intellectual property, has an opportunity for a qualified candidate to work in one of the world's most productive Intellectual Property Departments. This IP Operations Manager, Associate position is responsible for managing initiatives and foundational activities related to the IP Department’s Data Integrity function. The ideal candidate for this position is responsible for managing all activities and work plans related to IP data integrity and accuracy across Qualcomm’s IP data management tools as well as assisting department personnel with complex IP Data requests and driving new system development supporting IP Data management. This position is responsible for securing resources and support for IP Data Integrity initiatives and directing/improving processes and procedures to increase efficiencies and effectively resolve issues related to IP Data. The quality of Qualcomm’s IP Data has a direct impact on Qualcomm’s IP Portfolio and the management of patents through the IP Lifecycle.
The responsibilities of this role include:
• Provides a proactive approach and commitment to managing all activities related to maintaining and improving the accuracy and completeness of Qualcomm’s IP Data and IP Data Management tools and reports.
• Directs activities and processes across internal and external resources, including third-party vendors, to complete audits and research to ensure IP Data integrity and alignment with department goals and initiatives.
• Maintains an in-depth level of knowledge and documentation of all IP department data, databases, and tools. Keeps pace with department policies and processes as they relate to the IP lifecycle activities.
• Performs patent research and advanced analysis using IP country websites, internal databases, and official patent office documents.
• Interfaces with IT and stakeholders on projects and decisions to maintain IP databases, database updates, new processes, and system logic to control for data discrepancies and automate auditing.
• Summarizes and present research results, impacts, and next steps to management in reports, presentations, and meetings.
• Develops concepts for integrated solutions and assists with development of IP Department Data tools. Writes functional business guides that capture business requirements for specific needs, logic for maintaining data quality and the IP Family. Position may assist with system testing to ensure data accuracy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages operational initiatives of medium size or complexity by applying project management principles to develop plans, track deadlines and measure success.
• Forecasts and defines needed internal or external resources (e.g., people, tools) and ensures the alignment of team member skills and strengths with project demands.
• Leverages advanced knowledge of relevant IP Department fundamentals, patent lifecycle, intellectual property laws, annuity rules, legal research, patent due diligence and use of PTO data, PTO processes and third-party data tools (e.g., Derwent/Thomson Innovation) to develop process solutions and support IP activities.
• Identifies and seeks solutions to errors or issues related to IP Data using exceptional organizational, analytical, and problem resolution skills as well as various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble tools (e.g., Excel, Visio, QlikView, Tableau)
• Able to analyze data from various database sources to compile a comprehensive picture of the overall IP operational performance, including ad-hoc reporting.
• Able to work on multiple projects with competing priorities, using strong time management and organizational skills within a team environment.
• Ability to work independently or autonomously
• Communicates progress/outcomes of projects and/or initiatives and provide updates to relevant stakeholders and management.
• Suggests ideas for improving existing and identifying new processes, approaches, and methods to better accomplish defined work.
• Solicits and follows guidance to make sound, ethical, and timely decisions for a defined body of work.
• Works with individuals cross-functionally, both internally and externally, to integrate projects or initiatives and/or ensure changes work with other components of a specific project.
• Networks with partners across the organization and external stakeholders to support IP department goals with minimal oversight.
• Communicates with key internal and external stakeholders to understand needs, share updates, and address issues.
Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Bachelors - Business Administration, Paralegal Certificate - (Instead of Bachelor's degree requirement), See the required degree associated with years of work experience
9+ years of IP or industry-specific legal experience with High School diploma or equivalent
7+ years of IP or industry-specific legal experience with an Associate's degree
5+ years of IP or industry-specific legal experience
Bachelors - Business Administration
3+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with senior leadership (e.g., Director level and above). ,7+ years of IP or industry-specific legal experience. with Bachelor's degree in Business Administration OR Paralegal Certificate,1+ years in a technical leadership role with or without direct reports (only applies to positions with direct reports). ,3+ years of experience working in a large matrixed organization.
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers.